Are you already analyzing or still estimating? If you only listen to your gut feeling when it comes to Instagram and estimate how many users really click on your website, you should change this.
With Instagram Insights you have the opportunity to get deeper insights into your profile for free. The Insights offer a chance to improve your marketing with the help of internal statistics and give you a good overview of successes and failures.
You will learn below what to find in the Instagram Insights, how to interpret the numbers and which metrics are really important for your business,
The most important facts in a nutshell
- To use Instagram Insights you need to convert your profile into a business profile and have more than 100 followers.
- There are two ways to access the Instagram Insights, once via your profile, but also via one of your posted posts.
- The metrics from the Instagram Insights that are important for you, depend on what goal you are pursuing with your business on social media.
Background: What is Instagram Insights?
Instagram Insights is an add-on feature in the Instagram app. Insights is a statistics feature that helps you learn more about new visitors and what content is trending and what isn’t. You canl see which posts are performing well or poorly and thus adjust your content strategy.
A conscientious evaluation of Instagram Insights creates a win-win situation: Your followers get what interests them and you increase your reach.
Statistics and facts and figures are not everyone’s cup of tea. But the Instagram Insights are very easy to understand and perfect for beginners. All numerical values are explained to you, so words like impression or click-through rate will soon be part of your vocabulary.
What is the goal of Instagram Insights?
Instagram Insights is an analytics tool from Instagram that offers you valuable insights into the performance of your profile and provides you with valuable information about your followers. With the help of the data that is made available to you here, Instagram offers you the possibility to adapt your social media marketing exactly to your business goals.
What are the requirements for using Instagram Insights?
To use Instagram Insights, you need to have the following two requirements with your account:
- Business Profile: you will only have access to your Insights if you create your profile as a business account. It is also possible to convert a personal profile into a business profile.
To convert your personal profile into a business profile, go to your profile, click on Menu in the upper right corner and then on “Settings”. Then click on “Account”, scroll all the way down and you can change your profile there.
Your statistics are now automatically available.
- 100 followers: You have now converted your profile to a business profile and integrated the insights, but not all results are displayed? This is because you have less than 100 followers. Once you’ve crossed that magic line, you can use the full Insights feature.
Where can I find Instagram Insights?
Below, we’ll explain how you can access Instagram Insights. There are two ways to view your Insights.
Go to your profile. Under your Instagram bio you will find the button “Insights”. On the top left you can choose whether you want to see your last 7 or 30 days.
The second way to see your Insights is through your posts. Click on a picture of your choice. Under your picture there is a blue button “View Insights”. If you click on this button, you can see the Insights for this individual post.
How are the Instagram Insights structured?
If you click on Insights in your profile, you will see the following breakdown.
- Overview: The overview shows you the accounts reached and the content interactions. For both, the number of accounts and interactions is displayed, as well as the percentage increase. You can click on both to get more detailed insights, such as days of the week with the most activity, profile and website views, and top posts and stories.
- Audience: Next, we have the target audience. On the interface again, the number of subscribers, as well as the percentage change. With ,,View All” you gain more detailed insights here as well. Your audience is broken down by activity on each day of the week and time, locations, age, and split of male and female.
- Content you’ve shared: The last item is explicitly dedicated to your shared content, divided into posts, stories and IGTV. By clicking on these individual categories, you can see the reach of all posts at a glance.
When do I need which key figures?
You know now that you can see a lot of relevant data from Instagram Insights for free. What can you do with this data and which is the most important?
Unfortunately, we can’t answer this for you. It depends on your goal. If you don’t know what goal you want to pursue yet, then take a look here.
If this is not the case, we will now show you the most common goals and the metrics that are most important for them.
|Brand awareness||follower count, impressions and reach|
|Lead generation||clicks to website, clicks to links in stories|
|Interaction||interaction, posts and stories, audience|
[th]Goals;Key figures [/th]
[tr]Brand awareness; follower count, impressions and reach [/tr].
[tr]Lead generation; clicks to website, clicks to links in stories [/tr].
[tr]Interaction; interaction, posts and stories, audience [/tr]
Do you focus on increasing the awareness of your brand? Then you should pay special attention to your follower count, as well as your impressions and reach in your analysis.
- Number of followers: The more followers, the more attention? This is not quiet how it works. Of course, an increasing number of followers is a sign of more attention, but the growth rate is important here. It counts not only how many followers you have in total, but also how many were added in the last month.
You calculate the growth rate as follows:
Followers gained in the past month : Total number of followers.
If the result is 7%, everything is going great for you. Do you only get 1%? Then you should check your strategy.
- Impressions and reach: Thousands of followers don’t do you much good if none of them is interested in your content. Reach is more important than impressions. Impressions can’t differentiate multiple views of a single user, but reach can.
If your goal is to generate leads, clicks to your website and links in your stories are very important.
- Website clicks: The opportunities to share links on Instagram are limited. It is important to get users to click on the link to your website in your profile. Instagram Insights show you the numbers.
- Clicks on links in stories: This is a limited feature. Only if you have reached over 10,000 followers, you have this feature unlocked. You can integrate links into your story via a swipe-up function.
An interactive community is your main goal? Then these points are particularly important for you.
- Interaction: To pursue your goal of interaction, you must pay attention to interaction in the Insights. But note that not every interaction is worth the same.
- Posts and stories: Comments require much more effort than a simple Like, as do reactions to your story. Try to engage your community, ask questions, create a quiz, etc.
- Audience: Instagram Insights shows you when your audience is online and most active. Here, Instagram tells you the best times to reach your followers and get them to interact.
Instagram Insights allows you to gain a lot of important insights about the performance of your profile for free. To have access to the Insights on your profile, you need to convert your profile into a business profile and have at least 100 followers.
The insights that should be important to you are the ones that support your business goal and objective on social media.
Be aware of what you want to achieve with Instagram and check the insights that are important for you.